International Baccalaureate Program
Since DePaul College Prep became authorized as an IB World School, Diploma Program on June 4, 2015, it has become firmly established as a premiere educational opportunity for DePaul Prep students. Being one of the five private high schools in the Chicagoland area to offer the IB Diploma Program, potential students are applying to DePaul College Prep because of their interest in the IB Diploma Program.
Since the 1st cohort of 10 students in the Class of 2017, the program has doubled the number of students participating in the program. With the current Class of 2020 that includes 19 full diploma students and the incoming Class of 2021 with 23 full diploma students, the program demonstrates steady growth that will account for 19% of the combined junior and senior classes.
Other program developments of note include:
- IB students are being admitted into their 1st college of choice with substantial financial aid packages.
- 3 courses have been added to the DePaul Prep IB curriculum: Math Studies, French and Film. Chinese will be offered to the Class of 2021.
- 17 DePaul Prep Administrators and Teachers have successfully completed IB certification training that accounts for one third of the DePaul Prep faculty.
- Collaboration and support from DePaul University is a vital component of the DePaul Prep IB program. The research lesson taught at the DePaul U Library by their staff to prepare students to effectively complete the Extended Essay is an example of this assistance.
- IB students report significant improvement in writing and critical thinking skills that bolster their confidence in being prepared for the rigors of college coursework. DePaul Prep graduates that participated in the IB program confirm this assertion.
- DePaul Prep IB students are actively involved in extra-curricular activities that include all sports teams, theatrical productions, speech and debate, scholastic bowl competitions, school ambassadors and other academic and athletic clubs and organizations.
The IB Program involves the entire DePaul prep community in developing highly capable and complete young women and men. Contact the IB Coordinator for additional program and application information.
Applying to the IB Program
Applications for the IB Program are open each February to current sophomores interested in joining the program in their junior and senior years. Information and applications are distributed to interested students during that time.
- 5th Class of 2021 - 23 students
- 4th Class of 2020 - 19 students
- 3rd Class of 2019 - 19 students
- 2nd Class of 2018 - 15 students
- 1st Class of 2017 - 10 students