Preparing for Sickness
DePaul Prep will implement several strategies to prepare for when a student or faculty or staff member gets sick:
Home Isolation Criteria for Faculty and Staff and Families of Sick Students
Sick staff members or students should not return until they have met CDC’s criteria to discontinue home isolation.
Isolate and Transport Those Who are Sick
- We will Inform faculty & staff and families that they (staff) or their student (families) should not come to school, and that they should notify Nurse Tinu and/or our COVID-19 Point of Contact if they (faculty & staff) or their student (families) become sick with COVID-19 symptoms, test positive for COVID-19, or have been in close proximity* or exposed to someone with COVID-19 symptoms or a confirmed or suspected case.
- We will Immediately separate faculty, staff and students with COVID-19 symptoms (such as fever, cough, or shortness of breath) at school. We have identified an isolation room or area to separate anyone who has COVID-19 symptoms.
- Individuals who are sick will be sent home or to a healthcare facility depending on the severity of their symptoms.
- Parents will be expected to pick up their student IMMEDIATELY from school if a student presents with COVID-19 symptoms. Faculty and Staff will go home if they experience COVID-19 symptoms as well.
Clean and Disinfect
Classrooms or offices used by a sick person will be closed and will not be used until these areas have been cleaned and disinfected. Ideally, these spaces will not be used for 24 hours.
Notify Health Officials and Close Contacts
In accordance with state and local laws and regulations, Dr. Stanton-Anderson or an Assistant Principal will notify local health officials, faculty & staff, and families immediately of any case of COVID-19 while maintaining confidentiality in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
We will inform those who have had close contact with a person EITHER:
- Diagnosed with COVID-19 to stay home and self-monitor for symptoms, and follow CDC guidance if symptoms develop OR
- Exposed to a person diagnosed with COVID-19
Students or Faculty & Staff who have been identified as exposed to a person diagnosed with COVID-19 will be required to quarantine for a period of 14 days. After 14 days have passed, the person must be symptom free for an additional 3 days before being allowed to return to campus.
*Close proximity is defined as being within 6 feet of another person for a duration of at least 15 minutes without wearing a mask.
Procedures for Students or Faculty/Staff Members Diagnosed with COVID-19
DePaul Prep may need to temporarily dismiss school for 2-5 days, if a student or staff member attended school before being confirmed as having COVID-19. This initial short-term dismissal allows time for school to work with our local health officials to gain a better understanding of the COVID-19 situation impacting the school and for custodial staff to clean and disinfect the affected areas of our campus. The purpose of an extended campus closure for a short duration is to stop or slow further spread of COVID-19.
During school dismissals (after cleaning and disinfection), DePaul Prep will remain open for staff members (unless ill or exposed) while students stay home and engage in E-Learning. Keeping our facilities open: a) allows teachers to develop and deliver lessons and materials remotely, thus maintaining continuity of teaching and learning; and b) allows other staff members to continue to provide services and help with additional response efforts.
DePaul College Prep Interim School Closure Decision Matrix
Based on Current Guidance, July 2020
1 student or 1 staff member tests positive for COVID-19
2-4 students or staff members (or a combination of the two) test positive for COVID-19
5+ students or staff members (or a combination of the two) test positive for COVID-19
Multiple clusters of 5+ students and staff test positive for COVID-19
|Campus Closure||Campus closed for 1-2 days for Cleaning & Disinfecting||Campus closed for 3-5 days (minimum) for Cleaning & Disinfecting||Campus closed for 14 days (minimum) for Cleaning & Disinfecting||Campus closed until further notice|
All students and staff in E-Learning while campus is closed
*Level of Community Spread in city of Chicago based on City and State officials data will be taken into consideration
*A communications protocol is associated with each Criteria level
*Level of Community Spread in City of Chicago based on City and State officials data will be taken into consideration at each level