International Baccalaureate Program
In June 2015 after a two year all-encompassing school effort, DePaul College Prep became certified as one of 1,811 International Baccalaureate (IB) World Schools. In achieving this status, DePaul College Prep joined a distinguished group of 916 international schools that offer the Diploma program of which 6 are private high schools in the greater Chicago metropolitan area.
During the application process, considerable time, effort and financial resources were dedicated to preparing the IB course curriculum and training staff to become certified as IB instructors. With the anticipation of being approved as an IB World School, the initial cohort of 10 rising sophomore students from the Class of 2017 were accepted as IB Diploma candidates and began their 2 year quest to successfully complete the coursework and core element projects to achieve an IB diploma in the 2015-16 school year.
The IB program has become a viable and desirable educational program at DePaul College Prep that will continue grow and develop in the years to come.
During the 2016-17 school year, the following accomplishments and developments occurred:
- 7 teachers became certified as new IB instructors to double the size of the DePaul Prep IB faculty.
- DePaul College Prep initiated the IB Certificate program that allows students to take individual IB courses. In addition to the Diploma program students, 9 students are taking 1 to 4 IB courses as well as 3 of those students are taking the Theory of Knowledge core element course.
- The 2nd cohort of 6 students initiated coursework in the IB Diploma program. With the Certificate program students, a total of 15 students from the Class of 2018 which is 18% of that class began taking IB courses which is a 50% increase from the 1st cohort.
- The class of 2019 includes 19 students that will participate in the IB Diploma and Certificate programs. Also, 11 freshmen took an additional history class so that they would be eligible for the IB Diploma program. This participation clearly demonstrates that the IB program has become a recognized and enviable educational program to which students aspire to utilize at DePaul College Prep.
- A Mathematics Studies course will be added for the 2017-18 school year and French Lengua B course will be added for the 2018-19 school year to expand the IB curriculum.
- All 9 IB Diploma candidates in the Class of 2017 were admitted to the 1st college of their choice and received additional financial aid because of their IB status. These students will be eligible for up to 32 hours of college credit with successful completion of IB coursework.